No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Author:: Susie Coleman
Recipe type:: Christmas Cookie
Serves: 3 dozen
The ultimate in chocolate chewy. Kind of like oatmeal-peanut-butter-fudge. SO awesomely good. My sister gave me this recipe 40 years ago. I make it every Christmas.
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- ¾ stick butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- Over medium heat, bring milk and sugar slowly to a gentle boil; stir to keep from scorching.
- Stir in cocoa and butter. Boil one minute.
- Remove pan from burner, stir in vanilla.
- Mix in peanut butter and oatmeal.
- Lay by teaspoonfuls on wax paper. Cookies will harden slightly in about 30 minutes..
Once hardened, you can store the cookies in a sealed plastic container. Refrigeration is not required if you're going to use the cookies within two days but it's probably better for long term storage; kept in the fridge or other cool spot, cookies will keep for 4-5 days, though the chocolate will "bloom".